Track team dominates Sunshine finals

OUT IN FRONT: Mariah '10 helped lead the Mustangs to a first place finish in the 4x400m relay at the Sunshine League finals.

The varsity track team swept the Sunshine League, placing first in nine events at league finals on May 5 to secure its sixth straight league championship.

Four athletes competed in three events at the CIF-Southern Section finals May 22 at Cerritos College, though the team didn’t place in the top 20 overall.

Katherine ’12 dominated the distance events at league finals, placing first in the 3200m, 1600m and 800m runs. She progressed to CIF prelims (Division IV), placing fourth in the 3200m run and setting a school record with a time of 11:21. However, the 3200 meter heat at CIF-SS finals combined both Division IV and Division II (fasted division in CIF-SS) athletes, and Katherine came in ninth.

Katherine said she wishes to improve her “psychological game.”

“When people pass me, I get so discouraged. Instead of giving up, I need to pass them,” she said.

The 4 x 100m relay team comprised of Nailah ‘10, Mariah ’10, Jessica ’12, and Kasey ’13 placed fifth at CIF-SS finals. The relay beat rival Marymount, who they lost to at both league finals and CIF prelims.

Jessica also advanced to CIF in pole vaulting, placing fourth overall at CIF-SS finals.

Katherine said that the team has a strong group of young athletes that will carry the team in the future.

“We’ll definitely do well in league and I have hopes for progressing further in CIF next year,” Katherine said.

Sunshine Sweep

Mustangs took first place in nine events at the Sunshine League track finals:

400m dash – Nailah ’10

100m hurdles – Carina ’12

300m hurdles – Carina ’12

4x400m relay – Mariah ’10, Tyler ’11, Kasey ’13 and Nailah ’10

High jump – Miranda ’10

Pole vault – Jessica ’12

800m run – Katherine ’12

1600m run – Katherine ’12

3200m run – Katherine ’12