PRO: Clubs give students opportunity to relax, share passions, make friends

I remember my first club fair, table after table of compelling people asking you to join their club and take their candy for the low, low price of your name and email.

That day, I filled up on chocolate and left my information with at least ten tables. Three met at lunch on Wednesday, two on Thursday, etc.

Of course I did not make it to all of those meetings. In fact I probably only really went to two of the clubs I signed up for that day. I was part of the problem.

Club fair might seem like a joke, because of the sense of bribery and the number of people signing up without showing up, but what other way could it be?

Without the candy to lure them in, half the people who signed up and showed up would never know about an amazing club like Community Service League (CSL).

But for every twelve people that sign up and don’t show, clubs find the diamond in the ruff, that girl who will loyally attend for most of the year. It isn’t perfect, but it works in its own way.

This year was different for me. I had lunches where my friends would go to a club, and because I didn’t want to sit and eat alone like a cool person, I would join them.

When club fair rolled around I controlled myself, only signing up for ones I would actually think of attending, and I did. And I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had.

I believe that you just have to find the club that fits you. I found three clubs this year that work well for me. They allow me to interact with people from other classes, or talk about things that I don’t think about every day.

My clubs are not just my friend group, and even if it was just my friend group, why does that have to be an issue? The club still serves its purpose, to keep my attention for the forty-five minutes of lunch.

Not all people are meant to be in clubs, though, and I get that. But that doesn’t mean they are a waste of time.

The people who are in the clubs genuinely enjoy them and they don’t mind losing a lunch or two in pursuit of alternative entertainment.