The frontrunners for Trump’s running mate

After significant victories in Iowa and New Hampshire, it seems that almost nothing can prevent former President Donald Trump’s ascension to the general election. As the election cycle progresses, politicians and journalists alike are waiting for Trump’s decision on a running mate. Former Vice President Mike Pence’s testimony against Trump in regards to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has left him in search of one key characteristic amid the high likelihood of a rematch with President Joe Biden: loyalty. As Trump searches for the ideal VP, many former presidential candidates and politicians are endorsing him in hopes of gaining favor in the contest. Below is The UV’s list of Trump’s potential VPs.

Ron DeSantis

Governor of Florida

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons / Tom Williams

Coming out of the Iowa caucuses, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis dropped his own 2024 presidential campaign after running out of funds on the campaign trail. His campaign was largely based on accomplishments made in his home state, including banning Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) programming in colleges, making tax cuts, passing pro-life legislation, enacting “Don’t Say Gay” policies in schools and legalizing concealed carry without a permit. Though DeSantis was favorable with many Republicans and had a significant margin after winning governor of Florida in 2022, he has not been as cooperative with Trump’s campaign as other candidates. While he endorsed Trump after dropping his campaign, DeSantis has since made statements that may not appease Trump’s campaign, according to Axios. These actions suggest that while DeSantis could be VP because of his policies and current favor within the GOP, he may not be a frontrunner. 

Vivek Ramaswamy

American entrepreneur and former GOP candidate

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons / Gage Skidmore

Vivek Ramaswamy is a businessman who, like Trump in 2016, became involved in politics by running as a GOP candidate in the 2024 presidential campaign race. However, Ramaswamy dropped out of the race on Iowa caucus night, after a staggering loss in the state. Ramaswamy was running as a Trump replicate, but claimed he came without the baggage or the old age. Some of his more discussed policies included reviving a “1776 American national identity” and implementing restrictions on voters below 25. In his dropping-out speech, he was quick to endorse Trump and has been by Trump’s side ever since, even getting to speak along with Tim Scott at Trump’s victory speech after the New Hampshire primary. Due to his similarities to Trump and his general refusal to criticize the former president throughout his campaign, Ramaswamy is a candidate to watch for Trump’s VP pick.

Elise Stefanik

New York Congresswoman

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons / United States Congress

Elise Stefanik ran on a campaign for Congress in 2016 that avoided mentioning Trump and valued more moderate Republican ideals. She was elected to Congress at just 30 years old, becoming one of the youngest Congress members to date. In 2016, Stefanik openly criticized Trump’s Muslim ban and decision to withdraw the U.S. from the International Climate Agreement, and she had little confidence he would become the Republican nominee for president that year. However, following Trump’s 2019 impeachment, Stefanik’s politics adapted and she became a MAGA supporter who vouched for Trump’s success. This past year, Stefanik has defended Trump throughout his impeachment trials. Stefanik’s switch-up reflects how support for Trump is escalating among some more moderate Republicans as the political left and right become increasingly divided. Now at age 39, Stefanik is a frontrunner pick for Trump’s VP. She campaigned alongside him ahead of the New Hampshire primary and, according to NewsNation, Stefanik has garnered the most buzz for the candidacy. When asked about receiving this nomination Stefanik said, “Well, I, of course, would be honored to serve in any capacity in a Trump administration.” 

Tim Scott

South Carolina Senator

Tim Scott has been a senator of South Carolina since Nikki Haley appointed him in 2013. He previously ran his own 2024 presidential campaign, which he abruptly ended in November. Overall, many of Scott’s views align with traditional GOP beliefs. He is pro-life, anti-immigration, believes in school choice for families and encourages tax cuts. Despite his past with Haley, Scott is one of three GOP candidates who dropped out of the 2024 nominating race and quickly endorsed Trump’s campaign. Positioning himself behind Trump instead of Haley makes him a prime candidate for VP if Trump proceeds to the general election. According to The Washington Post, Scott is one of the most agreeable potential VP candidates, and he would add some diversity to the ballot.

Kari Lake

2024 Arizona Senate candidate and former news anchor

After losing her 2022 race for Arizona governor, Kari Lake is currently running for senator of the state. However, according to The Wall Street Journal, Lake would abandon her current campaign to be Trump’s running mate. Lake defines herself as a “Trump candidate,” and she supports an “America first” policy, advocating for energy independence, secure U.S. borders, educational system reforms and inflation cuts. Lake’s campaign style aligns with Trump more so than some of the other candidates, and if she had won her campaign for Arizona governor, she may have been more likely to be VP than she currently seems. Lake, however, has encouraged the other presidential candidates to drop out of the race and endorse Trump, an action that may be valuable to her in Trump’s quest for loyal supporters after the betrayal of his former VP, Mike Pence.