How to get a job as a teenager

Katie ’24

While learning how to write a resume, find job opportunities and complete an interview seems impossible, getting a job as a teen may be easier than you think. For students, a job can be one of the best ways to gain real-world interpersonal and financial skills. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting a job:

Step one: Create a resume

To get started, you need a resume template that looks professional, which can be found through a quick Google search. Once you have your template, be sure to include previous leadership experience, such as being a class president or a club leader. Some believe an adequate resume needs to include past job experiences, but that is not necessarily true. Instead, if this is your first job, be sure to list some positive special skills and attributes such as being timely or proficient in a foreign language, and be sure to include your GPA. 

Step two: Look for jobs 

One technique to find a job is walking into stores and putting yourself out there by talking to the manager. Look out for stores that have a “Now Hiring” sign posted near their doorway and don’t be afraid to go in with your resume in hand and apply. Many job opportunities will also be posted online, so a Google search can help locate nearby jobs and may include a place to upload a resume. An online listing usually includes steps needed to apply and specific skills required for a job.

Step three: Complete the interview

The interview process is an important part of the hiring procedure. Businesses want someone who has a strong work ethic and is well-mannered. Try to answer questions asked of you with ease and formality, but don’t be afraid of a little personality that may fit the job. If you’re scared, try researching sample questions at home and answering them in a mock interview with friends or family.

Overall, don’t be scared of this process. A job is a great way for you to earn some money while also gaining valuable life tools. Hopefully these tips will assist you in the job search process and good luck!