The Athletics Department creates a workbook

Sophia ’27 Contributing Illustrator

The Athletics Department is continuing to evolve its PE requirements for this year. The school’s addition of PE credits began last year with a mandatory 22-hour curriculum. As a result of student feedback regarding the new requirement, the Athletics Department curated the Physical Education Workbook to assist students in completing their hours.

“[The workbook will help students] understand how being active helps your personal life and how you can develop a relationship with activity,” Physical Education Coordinator and Head of Sports Performance Tyler Wilde said. 

The workbook was formed to guide students working on receiving their PE credits and encourage them to learn about the importance of moving their bodies. The Athletics Department aims to use the flexibility of the PE hours to allow students to have their own independent fitness journey. 

“I am excited about the freedom of planning my own workouts, and I am looking forward to learning more about different ways to exercise,” Georgia ‘25 said.  

The workbook currently lives on MyMarlborough where it can be downloaded, printed or solely used as a reference. 

It is intended to help students learn about training and develop new strategies for planning physical activity. There are sections of the workbook explaining the reason for engaging in movement, how to break the barriers in starting working out and personal fitness reflection charts, in addition to the exercises for students.

“I would recommend the workbook for anybody, whether you are doing the 20 hours or you are an athlete,” Wilde said. “I think it provides a background for understanding movement along with training and preseason, which can be beneficial to athletes.”

The workbook is designed to support students through their PE journey, but if any other questions arise about the workbook and workouts themselves,  Wilde and Varsity Water Polo Coach Adam Roth are open to meeting to provide insight.