Seniority should not be automatic

Christina ’24 Contributing Illustrator

In the past, senior year has been marked by uniform violations and low class attendance. However, 12th Grade Dean Ilyana Contreras is trying to change that. On the first day of school, the seniors were instructed to welcome younger students as they entered the building in order to promote a sense of senior leadership on campus. The goal is to shift the narrative away from the seniors being mentally checked out to being seen as proper role models to younger grades instead. The seniors have always been expected to set an example, but this year they’re being held to this standard by their dean, along with fewer extension policies and the enforcement of the dress code.

Ironically, outside of the classroom, this leadership isn’t the case. Recently, many student groups have elected to give out leadership positions based on merit, rather than seniority. Fewer seniors are captains of sports teams, juniors are leading established clubs such as AACE, EAST and Alliance, and a couple of seniors have dropped out of the All-School Play because they didn’t get the parts that they desired. I believe this criterion is the better one, as students who are truly skilled and passionate about leading their extracurriculars have the ability to lead, rather than a senior who was handed this position based on their age. Electing leadership by choosing those who are most deserving ensures proper dedication in attendance at practices, planning meetings and rehearsals. 

As a member of Varsity volleyball, I had no desire to be a captain during the busiest time of my high school career, and I knew that there were members of the team better suited for this role than I was. If this position had been chosen based on seniority, I would’ve been given a role that others deserved more. As a result of merit-based captaincy, my team has been better organized under committed younger captains who have more time and energy to dedicate to the team.

College applications and difficult courses make senior fall an especially stressful time. The expectation that seniors be the most involved members of their extracurriculars is unrealistic. It is possible for every senior to be a leader on campus without having a title or being given a position because of their age.