Black history appreciation

Melanie Moore Contributing photographer
Members of the AACE affinity group pose for a photo at the affinity group sign-up fair.

By: Maniya and Talise

To celebrate Black History Month, the African American Cultural Exchange (AACE) has invited author and activist Mikki Kendall to speak at an All School Meeting on Feb 21. Kendall is the author of the book “Hood Feminism: Notes From the Women That a Movement Forgot,” which covers food insecurity, the minimum wage, intersectionality and access to education and medical care. AACE Co-President Fallyn ‘24 is excited and enthusiastic about the ASM.  

“[I] admired [Kendall’s] examination of the intersection of Black and female identities,” Fallyn said.

A new teacher in the Health Education Department, Alison Williams, added that she appreciates people like Kendall, stating that, “[Kendall finds] new ways to address gender equality through a cultural, historical and systemic [perspective] that uplifts the Black experience.”

After the ASM, Kendall will sign copies of her book and meet with members of  groups, including AACE and the Organized Latinx Exchange (OLE).

Kendall’s visit is at the forefront of AACE’s Black History Month celebrations, but there are several other events being planned. Dulan’s Soul Food Kitchen, a Black-owned restaurant located in South Los Angeles, will be on campus to provide food for students. Through this event, students will learn about the culture of Southern food and the importance it holds in the Black community.

“[We hope to] engage the school community at large and the celebration of Black history needs to be year-round, not just in February,” Fallyn said.

Since it was founded, AACE has hosted many opportunities for students to be surrounded by Black excellence. In past years, an art gallery was debuted in Seaver and specialty sales featuring small Black-owned businesses in the Los Angeles area were invited to come to Marlborough and sell their products. 

AACE also welcomed new staff and faculty like Williams, who is excited to become involved in the affinity group. When asked about her perspective on Black History Month she elaborated on how she feels.

“It is important for everyone to be aware of Black History Month because Black history is American and world history, and while I love celebrating Black people and culture in February, I also worry that it then only gets discussed and learned about [during that time],” Williams said.