Marlborough holds first all-parent donor event this year

On April 23, Marlborough will host their first all-parent donor event on Marlborough’s campus, as opposed to past years when only “leadership donors” or parents who donated a larger gift were invited to attend. 

Associate Director of Annual Giving Lynde Trussell affirms that this new event aligns with Marlborough’s present initiatives towards equity and inclusion. 

“This is a moment where I want all families to know that every gift counts,” Trussell said. “You add it to the sum and in the end, it’s this magnificent gesture of your further investment and belief in the school.”

Parents of current Marlborough students share a similar sentiment. Chair of the Marlborough Fund Kerri Speck believes that the new event is necessary for acknowledging the value of every contribution.

“Expanding the donor appreciation event to all parents allows the school to do the important job of thanking each person who helps the school provide the best possible education for its students,” Speck said. “Every dollar raised for the school is equally important; every student benefits from each contribution and it is important that every donor be thanked.”

Marlborough seeks out donations through many methods, including mailed letters, events on campus such as Grandparents and Special Friends Day, and reaching out to the school board and alumni network. 

Each grade in the alumni network has a class captain to help with fundraising, with a goal of 530 donations for Marlborough’s 530 students. Trussell emphasizes how Marlborough is always looking to grow participation in contributions, with around 87% of families donating to the fund last year.

“I don’t know if we have ever had 100% of families donate,” Trussell said. “Of course, I want to get to the elusive 100% participation, but I think it’s about families doing what feels right to them.”