Seniors return to Hawaii

Allie Kim Contributing Illustrator

Following a two-year hiatus because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the senior Hawaii trip has returned for the Class of 2023 and will take place from May 15 to May 19 in Honolulu.  

Although the senior trip to Hawaii has been a tradition for over 20 years, it was put on hold due to safety concerns following the emergence of COVID-19. 12th Grade Dean Alison Moser stated that the plan was always to reinstate the Hawaii trip when the administration deemed it safe to do so.

“There was always a desire to bring the trip back because it’s a great final experience for the class to have together,” Moser said. “It’s far enough away that you can disconnect and spend time with classmates, and Hawaii is just gorgeous.”

This year’s Hawaii trip will be similar to years prior to the pandemic, with activities including swimming, hiking and going into the town by the campground where the senior class stays. 

“One of my favorite activities is a hike,” Moser said. “There’s this great trail, straight up the hill, so you get a beautiful view.”

Many seniors are excited about the return of the Hawaii trip because of the activities and the opportunity to connect with the class that the trip offers, particularly the tradition of opening letters they had written to themselves and their friends years before.  

“I’m especially looking forward to reading the letters that we wrote to ourselves in 8th grade because I used to watch the videos of all the girls opening them smiling and crying, and I think it’s a really nice way to close off the era that we’ve been together,” Violet ‘23 said. 

Seniors are also excited for the connections between classmates that the Hawaii trip wil hopefully facilitate. 

“I feel really lucky to be able to go on the Hawaii trip and share that bonding experience with my classmates,” Kristina ‘23 said. 

Both the senior class and Moser see the Hawaii trip as an important final event for the senior class. 

“You’re never going to be together like this as a class again,” Moser said. “You’re at the end and what better way to solidify that experience than a trip together where you get to connect as a class?”