Marlborough’s first homecoming

After nearly a year of waiting, Marlborough’s first homecoming finally took place on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022. The event seemed to be a success as students were able to interact with different grade levels and enjoy a night of dancing and food.

One of former All-School President Sophia’s primary goals was to host Marlborough’s first homecoming; she spent her senior year working to turn this goal into a reality. However, due to COVID-19 restrictions, the event was postponed to the second semester and then canceled entirely. So, when Athena ‘23 was elected All-School President for the 2022-2023 school year, she wanted to give students the homecoming they deserved. 

“We hadn’t really had this moment of coming back together with a formal event since COVID,” Athena ‘23 said. “The year before, COVID-19 shut homecoming down, so I feel like it was necessary to prove that we could do it.” 

Dylan ’23, Brooke ’24, Esme ’23, Oona ’24, Aria ’24 pose for a photo at homecoming. (Dalton Hanna Staff Photographer)

As COVID restrictions became less strict, homecoming was able to happen. The All-School Council and Dean of Student Life Brett Quimby faced a considerable amount of work in planning homecoming, including finding a date, communicating with security, coordinating with facilities and organizing RSVPs.

On the day of the event, students sat on inflatable couches, ate fun food and talked to their friends. Inside the gym, History Instructor Taryn Marshall DJ’d while students danced and took pictures in a photo booth. When reflecting on the event, Quimby thought the night was an overall success. 

“I think it went well and it seemed like people were genuinely really happy,” he said. 

Among the students, there was a general consensus that homecoming was a memorable night.

“I felt that homecoming was truly one of the first experiences since COVID that Marlborough felt like Marlborough again,” Ava ‘23 said. “I had a fabulous time dancing with my friends and, of course, indulging in the unlimited supply of churros.”

Future students have an opportunity to make Marlborough homecoming an annual tradition. 

“I think this could become another one of Marlborough’s fun traditions,” Maya ‘24 said. “I am excited to see what the future holds and whether or not students will want to have another homecoming.”