Marlborough celebrates Diwali

Emma ’25, Ria ’26, Jiya ’24 and Charlotte ’23 celebrate Diwali. (Shaye ’25 Staff Photographer)

Oct. 22 marked the start of India’s five-day festival of lights: Diwali. Deriving its name from symbolic rows of clay lamps that offer protection from evil, Diwali celebrates the triumph of light over spiritual darkness. This year, the Marlborough community contributed to the jubilant celebrations through an event hosted by SAVA, the South Asian affinity group.

Diwali celebrations typically include dancing, music and, of course, food. Marlborough’s own event was no exception. Taking place on Nov. 3, the celebration included a variety of classic Indian cuisine options. From samosas to chicken tikka masala, the buffet-style setup allowed attendees to sample a large food selection while listening to traditional South Asian music. Customary bright yellow decorations also added to the celebratory atmosphere.

While students appreciated the entirety of the Diwali celebration, the food seemed especially popular.

“The food was actually amazing,” remarked Hana ‘25. “I feel like I learned a lot about how people celebrate Diwali, and to be honest, I can’t wait until next year’s event.”

Others found the music to be the most memorable aspect of the celebration. “The music and general excitement maintained a convivial, joyful atmosphere all around,” Violet ‘24 said. “Standing in line waiting for food was almost as fun as eating it.” 

Regardless of personal preferences, SAVA’s Diwali celebration ultimately had the intended effect; it simultaneously raised awareness and sparked an appreciation for South Asian culture.

“Overall, I would say it was a really big success,” SAVA co-leader Jiya ‘24 said. “I feel like a lot of people figured out the gist of [Diwali], and I think that this event … helped everyone understand South Asian culture a bit more.”