New senior advisory programming

Allie Staff Illustrator

Though previously delayed by the pandemic, the Advisory Council has decided to implement new senior-specific advisory plans this year to help seniors prepare for life in college and beyond. Facilitated by Health Education Head and Dean of Social and Emotional Learning Nicole Beck, some of the advisory topics will include financial planning, eating changes, substance awareness, sexual education and party culture.

“This year in particular, the plan is to include 10 sessions that are specific only to seniors that relate to life skills one might need in college,” Beck said. “They’re all very different topics, and they’re based on feedback that I’ve received over the years from former seniors and former advisors who have mentioned maybe we should do something a little bit more unique and specific to seniors.”

In addition to receiving feedback from former students, the Advisory Council heard from Mathematics Instructor Jonathan Raup.

“I have voiced my opinion that seniors should have a categorically different experience in advisory their last year because they have different needs and a more mature mindset,” Raup said. “Now, my role is to help explain to the other adult advisors how to navigate through the lessons, throughout the year.”

To go with All School Council’s theme of mental health, the Wellbeing Representatives, Nicole Hopmans ‘23 and Riley Kraaijvanger ‘23 assisted in the creation of a few of the advisory plans related to students’ mental health.

“Riley came up with – ‘Community Over Competition,’ and that’ll be the first senior-specific advisory in October, which will have to do with managing college stress while maintaining friendships at the same time,” Beck said. “[Hopmans and Kraaijvanger are] also going to help inform other senior specific advisories along the way, [such as] one towards the end of the year about making meaning of life transitions.” 

Alongside introducing new life skills, the hope for this year’s senior advisory plan is to avoid unhelpful repetition.

“Ultimately, we are hoping that the students find these lessons meaningful and not just a repeat of conversations they have already had in Advisory,” Raup said. “Also, there will be some practical lessons to help give seniors the skills they will need next year in college.”

In response to the introduction of the senior advisory plans, many seniors are eager to learn about and explore the new topics.

“I’m really excited about the new senior advisory plans,” Annabelle Toth ‘23 said. “I feel like my class and I will really benefit from them and will help us all prepare for the different skills we need when we head off to college.”