Teacher introductions

Ciara Staff Photographer
Richard Vega, Alison Williams, Tyra Blair, Felonie Doss and Ashley Muñoz pose for a photo in the Alumnae Garden

TYRA BLAIR:

Tyra Blair joined Marlborough this year as an Exploring Science II instructor for 8th graders. Though she frequently switches up her hobbies, Blair is largely interested in video games, specifically “Immortals: Fenyx Rising” on Switch.

“I realized I had more fun talking about science than I did working in science labs,” Blair said. “I also spent most of my life tutoring and teaching other people, so I always knew it was my calling.” 

SARAH FOSTER: 

Performing Arts Instructor Sarah Foster has taken on a role teaching Advanced Theatre III and enjoys spending time with her six-year-old daughter Freya and her husband Dominic. She taught university students in London before deciding to move back to California last year where she taught at Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy. Since her mother was a teacher, she always wanted to become one herself. 

ALEXANDRA MOHR:

When she isn’t teaching 8th and 9th grade World History, Alexandra Mohr loves spending time with her German shepherd, trying new restaurants with her husband and watching reality television shows. After growing up in Redondo Beach, California, Mohr later attended Fresno State, where she earned a degree in history. For her, teaching and learning about history is deeper than just the facts.

“I love studying the lives of others who have made a significant impact on the world,” Mohr said. “I also really love the social justice aspect of history and showing how the struggle of others builds empathy and empowerment in students.”

ALISON WILLIAMS: 

Alison Williams is teaching Health 7 this semester and will teach Health 9 in the spring in Marlborough’s Health and Wellness department. In her time outside of the health classroom, Williams loves the outdoors and partakes in hiking and yoga. When she is feeling more relaxed, she enjoys watching shows and listening to vinyl at home. After attending Arizona State University, Williams worked in a health clinic, where she heard the stories of folks who didn’t have access to adequate healthresources. Shortly after, she began teaching health in order to make an impact and has been doing it ever since.

RICHARD VEGA: 

With experience working in newsrooms like The New York Times and Yahoo News, Journalism and Media Instructor Richard Vega brings a lot to the table for Newspaper 1 and 2. Due to his previous experiences in newsrooms, Vega felt drawn to Marlborough. 

“Marlborough has a sense of tradition and excellence that reminded me a lot of working at The New York Times, so it’s great to be working on a campus with so many bright and talented people,” Vega said. 

CORI AYANDELE:

Before officially becoming a teacher, Marlborough’s newest Pre-Algebra and Geometry instructor, Cori Ayandele, experimented in a variety of careers during her 20s. She worked in advertising, on a movie set in Hollywood, as an accountant, for her own flower design business, as a copy editor for a cookbook, at a merchandise company and more. After moving around professions, Ayandele found teaching.

ASHLEY MUÑOZ:

Ashley Muñoz has taken on a role as a 9th grade English and 11th grade honors English instructor. She came to Marlborough from Loyola Marymount University after she heard about the Marlborough community from an alumna. Growing up in Tucson, Arizona, she completed her undergraduate degree in English literature and East Asian studies from the University of Arizona. Later, she went into teaching English and has great goals as an educator.

FELONIE DOSS:

Felonie Doss fell in love with Biology in high school due to its ever-changing nature. Because of this, she has come to Marlborough and teaches Exploring Science I for 7th graders and Advanced Placement Environmental Science for upper schoolers. In her time outside of the sciences, she enjoys spending time in nature: parks and beaches, journaling and dancing.