View from the top

View from the top columnist Lucy ’22.

Going into my final year at Marlborough, I have realized there are two things that continue to cross my mind that I a) haven’t figured out yet and b) need to before I leave for college.

First, I still don’t know which Hogwarts house I’m in. For the small percent of you who may be thinking to themselves, “Wow, what is a Hogwarts house?” allow me to clarify: they are the different school categorizations in Harry Potter that students are put into based on their personality. To a non book universe obsessed person this issue may seem frivolous, but It. Consumes. Me. See, there is no feeling I love more than being able to neatly align my personality traits into a niche, all encompassing category (I’m an ENFP on the Myers Briggs Personality Test for those who are wondering). With Hogwarts Houses, I lived my entire life thinking I was a Gryffindor. Did I want to be the main character and was I a really energetic tree climbing extrovert? Yes. But was I terrified of strangers and placing a dinner order over the phone? Also yes, which was why I was told by a classmate in seventh grade that I was “literally such a Hufflepuff.” Little did this person know, they would send me down a five year spiral over my Hogwarts house. For context, I came to terms with my sexuality before I’ve been able to make the decision that the sorting hat makes in two minutes, tops. I’ll let you know when I know, but chances are it won’t be anytime soon.

Oh and second, I need to figure out where I want to go to college. I guess that it’s pretty obvious I have to figure this one out before I can actually, you know, go to college. I keep being told that I have a lot of time to decide, but also that I’m supposed to have a list of places I’m “potentially” interested in. I need to emphasize that I don’t even know potentially, hypothetically, whatever-ly where I want to go to school. I’m an “all in” or “all out” sort of person, so my college list will either be every single school I’ve ever heard of (because what if I eliminate a school I could potentially love?!), or absolutely nothing. Right now, it’s the latter. I always had this vision that I would wake up one morning and know exactly where I wanted to go to college (sort of like how I hoped to live my entire life without a Hogwarts house related identity crisis), but unfortunately, I’m still waiting for that overnight epiphany to take place. I do think it’s worth noting that it’s not super important to have a dream school. I don’t have one, and I have so many friends who graduated high school without a “dream school” who are having the best time at college. Actually, I’m going to take the controversial stance and say that there is no such thing as a dream school, except maybe Hogwarts, but based on my above crises, it’s looking like I’ll be the “Divergent” of that school (not to mix literary universes or anything).Yes, college and Hogwarts houses are the two things on my mind recently, and funny enough, the Hogwarts house debate seems to be taking precedence. But these two things only cover a small part of who I am and it seems impossible to sum myself up in a 10 question quiz or page long application. So at this point I’ve decided that I might as well figure myself and my two item list out on my own time. I say this while still recognizing that college wise my own time has to work around the College Board’s schedule, and I’m going to blink and it’s going to be November 1st. So what is my two cents, View from the Top advice for today? It’s okay not to have all the answers yet, except for the Hogwarts house thing. I’m going to get those answers as soon as possible, even if I have to make another fake email account to try the Pottermore quiz again.