Lose A Buckley, gain a Buckley: a profile on Crystal Buckley

Crystal Buckley and her father, Jay scuba dive in Bermuda. Photo courtesy of Crystal Buckley

Within the last year, Crystal Buckley became the first-ever Marlborough teacher to directly replace her own father after he retired from teaching. Former Marlborough teacher, Jay Buckley taught at Marlborough for eight years as an upper and middle school science teacher, specifically focusing on biology. 

Last year, amidst the online schooling, Jay Buckley announced his retirement, leaving many of his own students, including his advisees, curious as to who would replace him in the following year. However, shortly after announcing his retirement, he provided further information about who exactly would be taking his position in the 2020-2021 school year. He was excited to announce that his daughter would be filling his shoes with almost the exact same roles he had at Marlborough. She would take his spot as an Honors Biology teacher and acquire the advisory he led for two years. 

As a young child, Crystal Buckley spent the majority of her elementary years in California, attending Viewpoint School in Calabasas for her 1st grade through 7th-grade years. But before that, her parents wanted to travel and see the world. When Buckley’s parents became wanderlust, they moved to the Virgin Islands where she spent her 8th-grade year, continuing to hop around schools between California and the Virgin Islands during her high school years.  Her first “official” job was at her own alma mater in the Virgin Islands, where she worked before coming to Marlborough. 

Buckley has been thinking about teaching at Marlborough ever since her dad started working here. She was intrigued by everything in the school and all the wonderful things her dad told her about Marlborough. 

“We talked a lot about different dynamics that he noticed and just how supportive the community was,” Buckley said.  

Since Crystal Buckley attended around 11 or 12 schools from kindergarten to getting all of her degrees, the community of a school has always been essential to her, which is why her first job was at her own alma mater. That school was the first school she went to as a student that felt like a supportive community. 

“It felt like a safe place, and that’s where I wanted to be,” Buckley said.

The next school she found that was focused on relationships and community was Marlborough, and she wanted to be a part of a community, not just a part of a school. She was sad when her dad retired because she wouldn’t get to hear about his students anymore, but when she got the job at Marlborough she said it was amazing and how it’s really cool that she gets to have some of her father’s advisees. She thinks it is great that she gets to continue teaching the classes her father taught and be a “Buckley presence on campus.” She is thrilled to be around so many amazing teachers and students every day and cannot wait until we get to go back to campus. 

“I wish we could have the small interactions in the hallways, but the experience I have had so far is the best it could be for remote learning at a new school,” she said, “Marlborough is an awesome school with awesome people.”