The Release of ObamaCare

Photo by flikr user Insomnia Cured Here.

On Tuesday, Oct. 2, in the midst of the government shutdown, ObamaCare was put into effect. ObamaCare is an act by the federal government that will provide subsidized health insurance based on income and expand Medicaid coverage for the poor. The release marked a large victory for the policy, as both Democrats and Republicans have heavily debated the act in Congress.

Almost immediately after ObamaCare’s release, Healthcare.gov, the federal site monitored by the Department of Health and Human Services, was inundated with millions of visitors, causing web traffic and glitches. The Department of Health and Human Services reported that 2.8 million people visited the page since its opening, with 81,000 reaching out to call centers and 60,000 requesting live chats. These substantial numbers brought about error messages and overload notices, even delaying the policy’s launch in some states. It remains unclear whether the glitches display an overwhelming interest in signing up for ObamaCare, a weak website structure, or even a possible intrusion by ObamaCare opponents.