How to ask someone to a school dance

By Riley ’23

I am issuing a challenge to all of you. With homecoming in the past, prom in the future and a busy schedule in the present, school dances may have fallen off your radar. As a senior, I will be the first to admit that I’ve felt this way. So, I’m writing this as a reminder for all of us. Here’s my advice for a successful dance proposal — listen closely and maybe you’ll one-up me next time.

1. License to propose

The most important part of any dance proposal is the plan. I am talking about a James Bond-level scheme (if the heading didn’t clue you in). I wouldn’t call myself a dance proposal pessimist, but I would certainly say that I am no stranger to imagining everything that could go wrong. What if you trip? What if you’re spotted with your sign? With a good plan, you’ll soar right over these potential pitfalls. If you trip, do a somersault and keep going. Nothing can stop you.

2. Recruit the masses

This piece of advice is exactly what it sounds like. Recruit your friends to help out, swear them to secrecy and tell them your plan. Remember that dance proposals are fun and exciting, even if you’re nervous. The people that love you will definitely be happy to help out! Some friends could carry speakers and sing (see tip number 3), others could bring your proposee to a secluded area (this sounds creepy, but the element of surprise is crucial). Your friends will support you and cheer you on, making this a happy memory for all of you.

3. Sing your heart out

A good tune always elevates the moment. So, I highly recommend that you incorporate some kind of music into your proposal. Whether you play romantic background jazz or serenade your proposee with dulcet melodies, music will take your proposal to the next level. Perhaps stroll across the field to Frankie Valli (trust me, it works) or slide down a railing to EDM. Whatever floats your boat.

4. Keep it classy

I know I’ve been encouraging you all to go big, but I am here to remind you that it’s important to stay in touch with the tried and true roots of school dance proposals: a pun and a sign. Make the pun creative and personal! Listen to your proposee (this should be a given) and incorporate things that they like! Who knows, maybe that sign will be a memento you keep forever.