When you live in a city as big and as famous as L.A., you can expect a lot of stereotypes about its inhabitants to be formed by the rest of the jealous world. Whether they are true or not, here are ten of the most common.
1. Everyone loves lattes. While this is basically true, you will find some tea drinkers and juice fanatics in L.A. You might even find an occasional native who sticks to water.
2. Everyone is blonde. New hair colors are gaining steam in L.A. (like auburn and ombré) and contradict this stereotype. The abundance of swimming pools in L.A. may have contributed to this widespread misconception.
3. Everyone is plastic. Although many people assume that L.A. is filled with various versions of Barbie, the majority of L.A. locals are actually just naturally stunning.
4. Everyone eats organic/vegan food. Although a lot of people you know probably pretend to do this, you know that they are eating ice cream by themselves late at night. Also, the majority of people in L.A. cannot afford to buy twelve-dollar salads.
5. Nobody walks anywhere. There is basically no arguing with this. Drivers severely outnumber pedestrians in L.A.
6. Nobody can drive. Although practically everyone drives, practically no one can do it well, leading to an array of banged-up Mercedes and Audis making their way around the City of Angels.
7. Everyone is an actor. While there is a ridiculous number of aspiring actors in L.A., there are a lot of other career opportunities in the city. This also means that most L.A. locals do not see celebrities every day.
8. Nobody knows their neighbors. Well, awkward, because Susie and Joe live on my left and Yolanda and Finn live on my right. I’m sure most people, like me, would be able to name the majority of their neighbors.
9. Everyone works out. Although this isn’t a bad stereotype to be saddled with, it doesn’t apply to a lot of busy or lazy people in this city.
10. Everyone goes to Coachella and dresses for it. The city actually isn’t empty during Coachella weekend. Although, traffic is significantly lighter.